Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Now that we have the serious groundwork in place, let's move on to some of the fun stuff.

As this blog takes shape, I think the "and such" part of the title will become a prominent piece in this puzzle. What is "and such"?

This is the part of the blog that will consist of the many fun things I want to add along the way. This will be the part where I ask for and need audience participation. I am looking from Life Advice, to favorite quotes, books, movies, vacation destinations, or anything that you feel worthy of sharing. You can post such things in comments or feel free to email me at lifeadviceandsuch@yahoo.com



Those of you who don't know me, will quickly find out that I LOVE learning new things.  Once I have learned these things, I enjoy sharing.  Maybe I inherited some of that from my Mom, the school teacher.

Look closely at the picture above and tell me what you see.  I am sure the responses would include, loaves of bread, two different bread companies, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, or even bread ties.  All of those answers would be correct.  The specific thing I was looking for was the bread ties.

What is the big deal with bread ties you may ask?  I guess the fact that they help keep the bag closed and the bread fresh is an important function.  If your household is like ours, chances are that bread tie will disappear long before the bread does.

I realize you want me to cut to the chase.  The most important thing to notice in this picture is the fact that the bread ties are different colors.  This brings me to the point of this post.  Did you realize that there were different colored bread ties?  More importantly did you know that these colors have a very specific meaning?

If you did, give yourself a high five.  You are the person I am looking for to help me with the "and such" part of this blog.  If you didn't know this, then you are exactly the reason I have started this blog.

I worked in a grocery store when I was growing up and had to rotate the stock at the end of the day.  The bread was something you had to rotate to ensure the older bread left the store first.  The Sunbeam bakery man taught me this lesson that I am going to share with you.

First of all, bread is generally not baked on Wednesdays and Sundays.  Which leaves the rest of the week to bake bread.  The way the bread guy knows which day the bread was baked is by looking at the color of the bread tie on a particular loaf of bread.

This is how the legend generally breaks down:
Monday-Blue
Tuesday-Green
Thursday-Red or Orange (dependent on the bakery)
Friday-White
Saturday-Yellow

If you forget the specific color, remember that the colors are placed in alphabetical order as well.

The next time you find yourself buying bread for that unexpected snow, now you will be armed with the knowledge to get the freshest loaf of bread on the shelf.

Happy Bread Buying,

Big Daddy

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Honey I LOVE your fun facts!
God's blessings, Mama :D