Thursday, January 28, 2010

Potpourri Thursday: Random thoughts and quotes.

As I continue to bring this project together, I am faced with the task of putting some order to my ramblings.....

Seeing as how I have not put the finishing touches on said plan, I reserve the right to hodgepodge it today.

Quotes given to me today from a couple of people at work.  Don't know who to credit these to, but rest assured, if I find out, I will give due credit.

*Don't criticize a person, until you have walked a mile in their shoes.  That way you will be a mile away and have their shoes!

*Live your life, like you are on a job interview.





Do you recognize the object in the picture below???


That's right!!!   It is the New Year's ball that is dropped in Times Square to ring in the New Year.
Do you know why the lit ball was initially dropped from this location at midnight??







I skipped down a little to give you a chance to think about the answer, before you read it.  May seem juvenile, but I thought I'd give you a choice.  The answer is:

The ball when initially dropped in 1907, was made of iron and wood, weighed 700 pounds, and was adorned with one hundred 25 watt light bulbs. Times Square had a high vantage point that made the ball highly visible from very far away.  The ball was called a time ball, but not why you think.  Although the drop coincided with New Year's revelers ringing in the year, it actually served a more practical purpose.  That purpose was to alert the ship captain's out in the harbor the precise time that midnight occurred.  Once the captain's saw the ball light up, they would synchronize their chronometers (a precise navigational instrument which could be used to determine longitude by celestial navigation).

I told you I liked learning and teaching. Hope you enjoyed!


A

No comments: